Introduction

I've read a lot of interesting things about Mormons over the years, but during this presidential campaign it's gotten worse than usual. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe some interesting things. This blog will examine some of those beliefs (from an insider's perspective).

The purpose of this blog is to clarify some of the misconceptions floating around and to provide a context for the beliefs and events related to the Mormon Church. I won't proselytize or go into depth. There are plenty of other sources for that. This is simply meant to be a brief response to what I am seeing in the media. If you have suggestions for questions please drop me a line.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Do Mormons believe in the Bible?

Of course.

A better question might be 'Which version?' In English, Mormons generally use the King James Version - commonly used by many Protestant denominations. However, I've read from the New International Version, the English Revised Version, and the Darby among others. I have also read the Reina Valera in Spanish. And often, when I'm studying I will refer to either the Hebrew, Latin Vulgate or Greek Septuagint for the Old Testament, and the Greek for the New Testament. In using all of these generally accepted versions, I have noticed that each translation differs somewhat. And each provides unique insights.

As I've studied the writings of bible scholars, I've found that historically there have been debates regarding which books should be included in the Bible. The Catholics include several books in the Old Testament called the Apocrypha that Protestants don't generally include. Additionally, internal references within the holy scriptures indicate that the ancients relied on writings we no longer have. Regardless, the Bible is a beautiful, inspired work containing the words of God to his children and thus Mormons accept it as holy writ.

Those who emphasize that Mormons believe changes have occurred in the Bible over the millennia ignore that most other Christian and Jewish biblical scholars have the same basic understanding.